Learn To Fly
The Learn to Fly (LTF) program is designed for children ages 7 – 12 who are ready to take their intermediate/advanced skiing ability to the next level. Children in the LTF program will develop their all-mountain skiing skills and be introduced to basic racing techniques through a fun and challenging weekly curriculum designed to improve technique and confidence on all types of terrain and snow conditions. While progressing their skiing ability, athletes will learn on-mountain etiquette, build camaraderie with teammates, and cultivate an overall love for the sport. For over 20 years the Learn to Fly program has been nurturing the passion for skiing in children, giving them enjoyment for a lifetime of winters.
Required Skill Level: The ideal candidate for this program is a child ages 7 - 12 who can ski steeper intermediate and advanced terrain with minimal stops, including the following runs at Mt. Rose: Kit Carson, Lakeview, Ramsey’s, Mine Train, Double Down, Sunrise Bowl, Silver Dollar, and Bonanza.
Program participants must also be able to do the following:
• Effectively communicate with coaches without parent assistance
• Put on their boots and skis, and use ski poles
• Put on their helmet, goggles, gloves and jacket with minimal assistance
• With their skis on, stand and move around without falling on a slope
• Ski in a gliding (small) wedge, preferable open parallel and stop without falling
• Load/unload on the following chairlifts without assistance: Ponderosa, Galena, Northwest and Blazing Zephyr
Ages: 7 - 12 (age 7 as of 12/31/13)
Height: 48" minimum at time of registration
- Unlimited Mt. Rose Season Pass
- 1 weekend training day per week with coach (Sat or Sun) for program duration. (see Calendar)
- Skills Challenge Series
- BONUS HOLIDAY CAMP Jan 2 & 3, snow & weather conditions permitting
Program starts weekend of Dec. 7-8
Finishes March 15 & 16
Program does not meet 12/21-12/22, 12/28-12/29, 2/15-2/16
9:30 - 11:30 On Mountain
11:30 - 12:30 Lunch (unsupervised)
12:30 – 3:00 On Mountain
Uniforms: $80 uniform required; will be available through NYSEF
Helmets: Required during training, competitions and when skiing in uniform (not included).
Releases: Click to download the Safety Release Packet.
Guest Services Office:
Hours: 8:00am to 4:30pm daily
Phone (775) 849-0704 ext.215
Fax (775) 849-9080
Mt. Rose-Ski Tahoe
Attn: Team Falcons
22222 Mt. Rose Hwy.
Reno, NV 89511